We should always have in mind that all good things come from the Lord, and an attitude of thankfulness is proper. The Lord does not give us strife, harm, addiction, nor any of the ills of society. The Lord, rather, allows the enemy to tempt us and sometimes touch us with these things. Though none can fathom or understand the mind of God (How could the finite encompass the infinite?) and His reasons for allowing things, we can rest assured through faith that God tests us sometimes via the crucible of fire. When He does so, we are refined as gold or steel is in a smelter, and we are purer, stronger, and better for it. Thus we should always thank the Lord for the little and big things in our life, even when we are in the fire of testing...
(Research & composition courtesy of Bob Deitrick)
Synonyms: Thanks, appreciation, thankfulness, acknowledgement, recognition, gratitude, gratefulness. Thankful, obliged, gratified, contented, satisfied, indebted to, beholden, pleased, appreciative, overwhelmed. Thankfulness: warmth of feeling, gratefulness. Thanksgiving: a ceremony of giving thanks. Last Thursday in November, turkey day. Antonyms: Unthankful, thankless, ungrateful, rude, disparaging.
(Psalm 118:1) Give Thanks to the Lord, for He is good! His love endures forever...
Directions: One person to read each verse. After each verse repeat Psalm 118:1 as a group. (There are 13 below...)
- Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. His love and kindness go on forever… (I Ch 16:34)
- Thank the Lord for all the glorious things He does… (Ps 105:1)
- Thank God for His son... His gift too wonderful for words… (2 Cor 9:15)
- Let the peace of Heart which comes from Christ be present in your lives and always be thankful... (Col 3:15)
- Don’t be weary in prayer; keep at it; watch for God’s answers and remember to be thankful when they come… (Col 4:2)
- Oh give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His loving kindness is forever… (Ps 118:29)
- Come before Him with thankful Hearts. (Ps 95:2)
- Don’t worry about anything; instead pray about everything; Tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank Him for His answers… (Php 4:6)
- Always be joyful. Always keep on praying. No matter what happens, always be thankful, for this is God’s will for you… (1 Th 5:18)
- Sing out your thanks to him… (Ps 147:7)
- Since we have a kingdom nothing can destroy. Let us please God by serving Him with thankful Hearts and with holy fear and awe… (Heb 12:28)
- But your Heavenly Father already knows perfectly well that you need them (food and clothes) and He will give them to you if you give Him first place in your life and live as He wants you to. So don’t be anxious about tomorrow… (Mt 6:31-34)
- Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds... (James 1:2)